- To create a Community Support System for seafarers and their families, because Healthy & Happy families = Happy Seafarers
- To empower our Women, since ‘Empowered women make an Empowered nation’.
- Providing quality social welfare services to families of Member Seafarers as well as women seafarers to achieve our vision i.e. “Healthy and Happy families”.
- Reaching out to Women from the Seafaring Community, especially our lady seafarers, to enhance their role in their own lives, families, communities, and provide assistance to reach their goals in the wider world through
Women’s Wing – Concept & Role
After years of serving Officers and families, MUI realised the need to have a dedicated Women's wing to deal with specific issues related to Women seafarers and Officers' families. With a growing number of Women seafarers, the need to address grievances faced by them at work has grown manifold.
A support system to address mental well-being and women specific health problems was much required alongwith guidance to work related matters like harassment and gender discrimination. This will also be a platform to voice issues and grievances, seek redress, come together and bond with fellow women sailors.
It was also observed that there was no platform or Support group for the Officers' families, especially the ‘Wife’, who in the absence of her husband goes through stress at home trying to balance the family along with various other responsibilities. She plays the dual role of both father and mother, and has to be an effective parent and decision maker. All this can have a stressful impact on her mental and physical health.
For reasons such and more, the MUI Women's wing was incepted. We wish to reach out to each and every such woman battling it out alone, whether at home or at sea. We want to be there for her, give her the timely support and help her tide over her problems. The MUI-WW will deal with family and women specific topics in their workshops where we have a panel of lawyers, doctors, and counsellors, to address specific issues and needs as and when required.
Programmes under Women’s Wing
- 'Women Welfare' : Under this scheme we have a Community based development programme held by way of timely skill - building workshops and seminars, addressed by Experts on topics like Personality development, Parenting, Education, Career Counselling, Investment advice, Social service, etc
- 'Swasth Parivar, Sukhi Parivar' : This is a preventive healthcare scheme under which families (Spouse & Children) of member seafarers will be provided with subsidised health check-ups at regular intervals. Health awareness talks related to physical & mental wellbeing, Sports and Fitness, etc. are part of this scheme.
- 'Voice of Women' : Feeling depressed, lonely or unhappy and would like someone to talk to, then we are here to listen to you. This is a 24X7 emergency assistance programme under which families of member seafarers can reach out to Women’s Wing of MUI for any emergency assistance through its Helpline number : +91 8433884890. Alternatively you can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 'Dignity@Sea' : ‘Dignity at Sea’ programme is meant for Women seafarers when they are onboard. Women sea staff can report any kind of harassment or discrimination they face onboard from their fellow seafarers or the company on email@example.com, alternatively they can directly write to the General Secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org or call on the Helpline +918433884890. Counselling for depression, loneliness, etc. as well as confidential medical advice can be sought through the above helpline.
- 'Medical Reimbursement' : MUI has two charitable Trusts for the welfare of Seafarers and their families . Officers sailing in Indian Companies can contact Merchant Navy Officer’s Welfare Fund (MNOWF) 02222619321 or mail on email@example.com . Officers sailing in Foreign companies can contact Maritime Floating Staff Welfare Trust (MFSWT) 26730306 / 07 / 09 or mail them on firstname.lastname@example.org to avail benefits of the Trusts medical scheme.
- 'Convalescent Health Home' : The Convalescent Home facility is also provided by the two Trusts of MUI and they are presently at Lonavala (near Mumbai), Raichak (near Kolkata) and Mussorrie (near Dehradun), Goa, Mahableshwar, Lonavala, Thithal ( Valsad ), and Matheran. Booking for the Convalescent Homes are done only from Mumbai office one month prior to visit.